This is one of my favorite products and can be used as preventative serum and also as a treatment. Here are a number or reasons why it gets 5/5.
- It’s light and combines the feel of a gel, but isn’t sticky and goes on smoothly—even on dry or dehydrated skin, where some serums can get tacky and pull at the skin.
- Most serums should only be used on targeted areas, but this is gentle enough to use all over.
- Vitamin C is hard to stabilize (it’s water soluble), hence why the product is in a pump dispenser, and although the vitamin C content isn’t high, it’s still effective. This is why vitamin C products with high concentrations can be expensive.
- It’s good value, and can last a couple of months if you use it morning and night.
The serum is best used after applying a softening or toning lotion, and before a moisturizer. As the serum is quite moisturizing, you may need to use less moisturizer afterwards, and only in places you feel you need it, for example the neck or cheeks. If you have oily skin or it’s humid, you can use this serum instead of a moisturizer. The Body Shop does advise to use it after a moisturizer, but all beauty boffins know a serum should go on before a moisturizer, otherwise it won’t be as effective. I’ve read that some people said it was less effective when they applied it over a moisturizer; that’s because it is less dense and needs to penetrate the moisturizer to work.
If your skin is in need of a boost (after being ill, winter, or exhaustion), this is ideal to quickly lift the skin. Use it conjunction with a moisturizing face mask three times a week, and it will get you skin back to normal. To use this as a preventative product, apply it in the evenings if your skin starts to feel tight, or if you know you have a long day ahead of you.
The serum is enriched with Community Fair Trade Brazil Nut from Peru, and is perfect for traveling as it’s in a plastic container and won’t spill. I’ve recommended this to a few people who have noticed a difference within a couple of days, used twice a day. The great thing about The Body Shop, is that they do offers and discount codes—often 3 for 2, or buy 3 get 3 free during holiday times, so it makes it more affordable.
Men and women of all ages can use this product as it is soothing and healing, and isn’t too active (less likely to cause reactions). It’s not what you use, but also how you use it. Applying it over a heavy facial cream, or on skin that hasn’t been cleansed will reduce the effectiveness. Use it correctly and you will see and feel results fast. It’s one of my go to products whenever I need a lift and is good to use in all seasons.
Beauty Super Spy Tips
- If your skin needs a boost, exfoliate, use a moisturizing mask, (three times a week) and apply the serum morning and night. After a week your skin will feel smoother and softer.
- Apply the serum on warm cleansed skin. It will be more effective and will spread easier.
- If applying foundation afterwards, or powder, wait a few minutes to allow the serum to absorb, otherwise it will cake.