I made a last minute decision to subscribe to the April LoveLula box (midnight on 31 March). Last month I was a little on the fence about the contents where I could only use one item, and I am pleased to say this month I seemed to fare a little better. The April box contains one full sized product, three travel sized products, and a sample sachet:
- Greenfrog Botanic Handwash Geranium and Peppermint (Travel size ~100 ml @£2.60). I wash my hands a lot, and so this was a pleasure to use. In addition it’s 100% natural, with a subtle scent and is made from soapberries from the Himalayas. The company currently has a small range that includes body washes in Neroli and Lime, and Neroli and Rose that are all reasonably priced (under £10) and make excellent gifts too. The range is great for those with sensitive skin, or who like eco-friendly and organic products.
- FOM London Hydra Plump & Firm Cream (Travel size~ 15 ml @£14.70). I was a little overwhelmed by the scent of geranium when I opened this jar, and found it a bit too heavy and it put me off using the product. It was pleasant to apply, although it took a while to absorb into the skin, but someone who likes essential oils would like this as I am more of a fragrance free type of person.
- Apple & Bears Honey & Hemp Body Wash (Travel size 50 ml @£2.50). This was nice to try, however it didn’t lather easily, but is ideal for people who like honey or natural ingredients who don’t like too much lather.
- Madara AHA Peel Mask (Full size 60 ml @£20.00). I’ve tried a couple of Madara products before, but have been put off by the scent of the products, so I was apprehensive when it came to trying the Madara AHA Peel Mask. I generally don’t use AHA products because they can lead to the skin becoming sensitive. This product isn’t suitable for those with sensitive of fragile skin, and it’s imperative that you read the instructions before use. For most people the recommended use is once a week, and up to twice a week for oily and combination skins, and to leave it on for up to 10 minutes. It’s a very active mask that exfoliates chemically and brightens the skin, so is ideal for those with uneven skin complexions, dull skin, pigmentation, fine lines, or acne scars. There may be a slight tingling when applying the mask, but I didn’t experience any, and the result was a smoother and brighter skin after one application. On a final note, you should patch test this product first, and always use sunscreen when using AHA products, and it is best to use them only at night time to prevent any photo sensitivity.
- Marlenha Flourish Moisturiser (Sample sachet 3 ml). I’m not a huge fan of sachets (messy and unhygienic), and like most people I stash them in a drawer. Marlenha is a Italian based company that uses botanical ingredients and plant oil extracts in all their products where each range is inspired by a flower. I was impressed with the moisturiser that had a gentle floral scent, and was rich in texture, but that absorbed easily. I have to admit there was a mild plumping effect, especially when I used it at night when the skin is more relaxed. This is a skincare company worth trying if you are looking for premium performing and natural products.
Rating and verdict
LoveLula is a monthly beauty box that costs £12.50 (postage included, international orders add £5 for shipping), where everyone gets the same five items, which can include full sized products. There is no commitment, and you can cancel the monthly subscription at any time before the start of the next month. This month seems to have a more varied selection of items that are suitable for most skin types and all ages. In addition, all subscribers have a code to get 20% off the brands featured for the month.
The April box is excellent value for £12.50 with products that are worth around £40. Beauty boxes are always a gamble, and while full sized products are not always guaranteed, many are generous sample sizes. You must order the month before, therefore, if you subscribe in April, the first box you will receive is the May box. Sign up here for one of the best beauty boxes for natural and organic beauty boxes.