When you hear the word soap, you will be forgiven for thinking of tight and dry skin, but not all soap bars are made equally. Invest £2.49 in a Friendly Soap Company Facial Cleansing Bar and that myth will be dispelled. This is no ordinary bar of soap—it’s pretty exceptional and ticks just about every box possible. Many companies prefer to use the phrase facial cleansing bar because they know people will be put off by the mere mention of the word soap, but today, the formulations are creamier, with more natural ingredients packed in, plus handmade soaps have made a recent comeback.
The Friendly Soap Company (founded by Geoff and Rob) is based in Yorkshire, and has a philosophy of producing eco-friendly, and natural products. Among their other products are; shaving bars, shampoo bars, bath soaps, and later on they will be adding liquid hand wash, and shampoos and conditioners to the range. So what makes these handmade soaps stand out from other companies?
- These are made using a traditional cold process, which means there is less byproduct, and results in a harder and more long lasting bar.
- Vegan society approved. Ideal for people who struggle to find ethical products.
- Doesn’t contain palm oil, which contributes to deforestation, and is a good choice for those who prefer eco-friendly products.
- Paraben free ~ these are generally preservatives, and while they aren’t necessarily harmful, the less chemicals on the skin the better.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) free ~ a detergent that creates the lather in products such as shampoo and toothpaste.
- They use natural ingredients such as cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, aloe vera, peppermint, lavender, and other essential oils.
- Ideal for those with sensitive skin as they offer fragrance free bars.
Rating and verdict
There are two facial cleansing bars to choose from: shea butter and cocoa butter, which are both fragrance free.
- Shea butter ~ contains 1/3 shea butter, 1/3 olive oil, and 1/3 coconut oil. It also contains Vitamin A ,which helps to slow down the aging process by stimulating cell production. The body converts this vitamin into retinoids and is also known as the anti-aging vitamin.
- Cocoa butter ~contains 1/3 cocoa butter, 1/3 olive oil, and 1/3 coconut oil. Cocoa butter is renowned for is healing and soothing properties, and its natural ability to keep the skin soft and supple.
Each 95 gram bar costs £2.49 and lasts about a month if you use it morning and night. If you do wear makeup, I would recommend using the facial bar as the second step of a double cleanse. I find it’s much better to remove makeup with an oil or balm because it dissolves away the oil in the makeup. Those who like to use facial cleansing devices or brushes can use this in conjunction with the facial bar as it creates a creamy lather.
I tried the shea butter cleansing bar, and it’s a delight to use. It lathers up quickly and creates a strong and creamy lather. Once rinsed off the skin doesn’t feel tight, but clean, soft and fresh. I would advise using warm to hot water and to work up a lather and then to massage it into the face for a minute for optimum results. Tested and recommended, and at under £3 for a cleansing bar that works as well as premium brand cleansers, that is natural, and is kind to the environment, you can’t go wrong!