If you haven’t had a Birchbox yet, the premise is quite simple; for £10 (plus £2.95 shipping) per month you get a box of at least five beauty items that can be sample, travel, or full sized items. The September Birchbox looked promising as there appeared to be fewer repeat items on offer than in previous offerings, with some new items including the Caudalie Vinopure Purifying Gel Cleanser that I had been wanting to try. There are several subscription options to choose from ; the monthly subscription that you can cancel by the last day of the month for the next month, or 6 and 12 month options. Boxes are selected according to your profile, and at times it can be hit or miss because there are several curations each month, plus it also depends on when you order your box, however, the boxes themselves are usually drawer boxes which are excellent for organising all your beauty items.
Rating and verdict
This month I received five deluxe travel sizes, which is ideal for me because sometimes sample sizes are too small and you get one use which often isn’t enough to try something out, so I was happy to get sizes that would last a few days to a week. This is what was inside my box this month (everyone got a Benefit Lovetint or Posietint):
- Baija Body Cream in Rose and Lychee ~ 25 ml @ £5.30. Beautifully packaged, the body cream has a light rose scent, but takes quite a while to absorb into the skin, and isn’t a rich moisturiser. I would say this is useful as a hand cream, but not rich enough for the body.
- Benefit Lovetint in Fiery Red ~ 2.5 ml @ £6. A handy lip and cheek in a bright red. The shade is not quite for me, but useful as a stocking filler for Christmas.
- Caudalie Vinopure Purifying Gel Cleanser ~ 30 ml @ £3.20. I had been wanting to try this product and was excited to try it. With a fresh scent, it creates a light foam and cleanses without stripping. A great product for all skin types that you can use day and night.
- VQ Rose Gommage ~ 20ml @ £6.50 . A peel that you rub into dry (cleansed skin) and massage for a couple of minutes and then rinse off. While it was pleasant and easy to use, it won’t replace the manual exfoliators I use, but is a good choice for those looking for natural skincare products.
- Grow Gorgeous Thickening Hair and Scalp Mask ~ 60ml @£5.50. A good sized sample which is great for those who use hair masks. Sadly, I am not one of them, and have very thick hair already, but again, is a handy stocking filler for Christmas.
Perceived retail value ~ £26.50 approximately based on RRP of full sizes.
Other possible items that could be included in your box are:
- John Frieda Frizz Ease Weightless Wonder Featherlight Smoothing Creme
- ModelCo Highlighting Shimmer Whip ~ Champagne
- Marcelle Micellar Water
- Chella Eyebrow Pencil ~ Tantalizing Taupe
Overall, the selection and variety of items has improved compared to the last few months, and the eyebrow pencil is a product I would have been happy to try. The range was better this month too, with a makeup item, skincare, body care and a haircare product, and all were deluxe sized. There was also a good mix of established classic brands such as Caudalie and Benefit, alongside upcoming brands like VQ Beauty.
If you wish to buy any of the monthly featured items, you get 10% off and if you review your items, you also get a code for free delivery on your order (codes last about 6 months). VIP members (those who have 6 boxes in a row) get 15% off. Currently all new subscribers can get a free gift of a FREE Eyeko mascara and eyeliner duo (worth £19) with the code WINGIT.
New limited offer while stocks last ~ 2 Birchboxes for just £10 (+ £2.95 p&p). Simply use the code WOOHOO before 29/09/19.
You can buy your Birchbox here, available while stocks last, and the September drawer box has a beautiful floral pattern too. At this time of year when people are starting their Christmas shopping, Birchbox is ideal for stocking fillers, and to send as a gift box as well.