After my disappointment and utter dismay at what Birchbox called a beauty box last month, May has fared better, but to be honest it couldn’t have got any worse. While I am not jumping up and down with joy, at least three out of five products are useful and two of them I would actually use. Among what Birchbox offers this month are:
- Spectrum Unicorn Tears Wonder Sponge: Everyone gets this tear shaped sponge in pink or lilac for applying concealer or foundation.
- PHILIP KINGSLEY: PK Prep Polishing Balm
- THEBALM COSMETICS: Stainiac
- CAUDALIE: Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet
- EYEKO: Black Magic Mascara
- SARAH CHAPMAN: Skinesis Spot Stickers
- LOC: One and Done Shadow Stick
- GIVENCHY: Live Irrésistible Fragrance
- RITUALS: Dao Wai Wang Body Scrub
- OLE HENRIKSEN: the clean truth™ cleansing cloths
- PURISKIN: Resurfacing Cream
- VITA COCO: Coconut Oil
The selection does contain some classics, and for some they maybe repeat items. My box contained the following 6 items:
- VITA COCO: Coconut Oil: Sample (5 ml) @ £0.02
- PHILIP KINGSLEY: PK Prep Polishing Balm: Sample (20 ml) @ £5
- Spectrum Unicorn Tears Wonder Sponge: Full size @ £4.99
- THEBALM COSMETICS: Stainiac: Sample (1.2 ml) @ £1.41
- CAUDALIE: Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet: Sample (10 ml) @ £5.75
- RITUALS: Dao Wai Wang Body Scrub: Special size (70 ml) @ £4.20
- TOTAL PERCEIVED VALUE £21.35
All the actual products were sample sizes (you can’t really do a sample size of a sponge) so they don’t last long or offer good value. If you consider the cost of the box is £12.95 that’s not a huge saving at less than 50% especially if you don’t use all of the products. Things seem to be getting better in terms of selection, but the perceived value of the boxes seems to be decreasing. While you can earn points to pay for your boxes by leaving reviews, that is only of use if the item you want is in stock. It does seem the focus is on getting people to buy from their website, and I feel that pressure increasing. I do feel a beauty box should be a stand alone purchase (because you are paying for it), rather than being pushed to buy things in order to get your money back in another form.
The Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet was wonderful to try, however 10ml or the actual amount which seemed to be more like 5ml, lasted two days. I do need a body scrub and so the Rituals Dao Wai Body Scrub was well timed; nice, and it didn’t leave too much of a residue. I’m just glad there are products that I need and will use in the box, because while beauty is about trying new products, they need to fit into the lifestyles and routines of people.
Based on quality of brands and selections, and the speed of the delivery.
Did you get a May Birchbox? Add your rating and comments.