By Jane Alexander
It’s November and the festive countdown is already underway with many beauty advent calendars being released last month and continuing into this one. Beauty advent calendars are fast growing in popularity and there is a big range from budget to the headily luxurious. My choice this year won me over due to its amazing presentation and the charm of its theme ‘Beauty in Wonderland’. Look Fantastic’s advent calendar has been a a big favourite last year and it’s a surprise that it hasn’t sold out yet. Housed in a glossy chest of drawers complete with mirror, ribbon drawer pulls and magnetic doors and illustrated to perfection with detailed foiling and whimsical references to Lewis Carroll, the box itself can be repurposed and will last long after Christmas Day. Each item is wrapped carefully in Alice themed tissue and as delightful to uncover as sweets.
Beautiful box aside, it is also my top pick for a mid-range priced calendar with a well-rounded mix of products. Shades are season appropriate and festive, most should find something appealing in the impressive line-up of 25 products; some exclusive to Look Fantastic; 9 are full-sized, including a generous 3-piece set ,and 16 are deluxe samples.
Makeup & Tools
- -Look Fantastic x High Definition Limited Edition Eyeshadow Palette
- -Illamasqua Lava Lips Marbled Lipstick in Vixen
- -Pixi Hello Glow! 3 piece Set
- -Doucce Maxlash Mascara
- -ModelCo Retractable Brow Pencil in light/medium
- -Ciate London Fierce Flicks Eyeliner
- -Lookfantastic Contour Brush
- -Bellapiere Cosmetics Banana Setting Powder 4g
- -Magnitone Wipeout! Microfibre Cleansing Cloth
- -Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream 15ml
- -Caudalie Vinosource Moisturising Sorbet 15ml
- -Lookfantastic x Omorovicza Limited Edition Hungarian Mist 30ml
- -Korres Wild Rose Sleeping Facial 16ml
- -Dr Lipp Miracle Lip Balm 4ml
- -This Works In Transit 10ml
- -First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream 56.7g
- -Balance Me Micellar Cleansing Water 30ml
- -Dr Botanicals Superfood Facial Oil 15ml
- -Oskia Renaissance Mask
- -Redken No Blow Dry Cream 30ml
- -Grow Gorgeous Scalp Detox 50ml
- -Moroccanoil Treatment 15ml
- -Crabtree & Evelyn La Source Hand Therapy
- -James Read H20 Illuminating Tan Mist for Body 30ml
- -Molton Brown GingerLily Body Wash 100ml
My confession is that I cancelled my pre-order of this calendar after seeing spoilers and was tempted into buying it later in the month. Even knowing the contents, the calendar surprised me with the quality and unique feel. Each drawer is filled like a puzzle with numbered boxes. The items include some real showstoppers including the marbled Illamasqua lipstick, the Omorovicza Facial Mist, the HD x LookFantastic Eyeshadow Palette and the Pixi 3 piece set. The Grow Gorgeous Scalp Detox is a pleasant surprise as it scents the calendar with a pretty fragrance.
There are old favourites to be found here as well as the limited editions and new treasures. The only obvious omissions to an otherwise perfect calendar would be a fragrance, as perfume is a Christmas favourite, and a pamphlet with the itemised products and perhaps some festive discounts tucked into the top mirrored compartment. But this is being very finicky at a very fair price point for what you get – an indulgent, luxurious countdown to the big day.
The calendar is available from Look Fantastic for £79. The total value of the items is claimed to be over £300, so if you would use most of the products it would be excellent value for money with an average of around £3 per item.